The next phase of the Covid vaccination drive starts today where everyone above 18 years will get a free vaccine. This is Central Govt’s new policy announced earlier this month after got scolded by the Supreme Court of India over the vaccination drive for the 18-44 age group.
Earlier in June, Prime Minister Narendra Modi made the announcement in a televised address to the nation and said the central government would take over the nationwide vaccination drive, and the Centre would procure 75 percent of vaccines and give them to states for free distribution to all citizens above the age of 18.
The Centre will also handle the 25 percent vaccination that was with states till now under the liberalised plan announced earlier.
All you need to know about free Covid-19 vaccination:
- All citizens above the age of 18 can avail free vaccination at any government facility.
- The Centre will buy 75% of the total vaccine production from vaccine manufacturers and give it to the state governments free of cost. No state government will have to spend anything on the vaccine.
- All vaccination centres, government and private, would provide onsite registration facilities. Registration on Co-Win app is not mandatory.
- The states may avail the facilities of Common Service Centres and Call Centres to help citizens book slots for vaccination.
- The price of Covid-19 vaccine doses for private hospitals would be declared by each vaccine manufacturer and any changes would be notified in advance.
The aim of the government is to vaccinate all adults in the country against coronavirus disease (Covid-19) by the end of this year.